Tuition and Fees
Akita International University is a public university corporation. Student tuition fees cover only 25% of the operational costs, which are approximately 2,300,000 JPY per year per student. The remaining amount is supplemented by the local and national government funds and various donations.
All fees listed below are current as of April, 2011. The fees are subject to change.
Tuition and Fees: Non Degree-seeking Students
Please note that exchange students' admission and tuition fees will be waived. Fees are in Japanese Yen.
|Exchange Students||Non-exchange Students|
|Fall / Spring||Winter||Fall / Spring||Winter|
|Admission Fee 1||Waived||N/A||28,200||N/A|
|Tuition Fee 2||Waived||348,000||N/A|
|International Student Activity Fee 4||10,000||5,000||10,000||5,000|
|Insurance Fee 5||30,000||N/A||30,000||N/A|
- This fee is charged once at the time of admission.
- This fee is for a semester. Winter Program tuition fee is waived for all international students.
- This fee covers bank transaction fees. The balance will be refunded at the time of the student's departure from AIU.
- This fee includes fees for field trips to visit local cultural sites, festivals, and various on-campus events. Non-refundable.
- This fee covers "National Health Insurance" and "Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research and Liability Insurance." These insurance policies are mandatory for all international students. The listed amount is an estimate for one year as the actual amount varies depending on the duration of stay. The balance will be reimbursed at the time of the student's departure.
On-Campus Housing Fees: Non Degree-Seeking Students
The fee for the meal plan (100,000 JPY per semester) is tentative and may increase because AIU is currently in the process of selecting a cafeteria contractor for the academic year starting in April 2012. As soon as the meal plan fee for academic year 2012 is confirmed, the chart below will be updated to reflect the new fee.
|Spring / Fall Semester||Winter Program|
|Komachi Dormitory||with 3 meals/day||205,175 JPY||N / A|
|without meals||117,675 JPY||63,450 JPY|
|with 3 meals/day||205,175 JPY||N / A|
|without meal plan||117,675 JPY||63,450 JPY|
|with 3 meals/day||200,675 JPY||N / A|
|without meal plan||113,175 JPY||60,450 JPY|
※ Fees listed above are for double-occupancy rooms. As a general rule, all international students at Akita International University share a room with a Japanese student or other international student.
※ In addition to the amount listed above, approximately 10,000 JPY per month will be charged for utility fees in Global Village Apartments or University Village Apartments.
※ Non Degree-seeking students are charged the Global Village housing fees and meal plan fees at the beginning of each semester. Students who live in Komachi Dormitory or choose to cancel their meal plan will have the difference refunded to them later.
※ All new international students (non degree-seeking students) are required to purchase the meal plan for the first two weeks during the orientation week and first class week for student convenience.
※ Depending upon Akita International University's partnership agreement with an international student's home institution, housing and meal fees may be waived in whole or in part. Consult your university's study abroad office for more information.
Scholarships: Non Degree-seeking Students
There are few scholarship programs in Japan for short-term international exchange students. However, some Akita International University students do receive scholarships from JASSO, Akita Prefecture, or other entities. Eligibility for scholarships is based upon various factors such as country of origin, scholarships from other institutions, and participation in community outreach activities while at Akita International University. More information on these scholarships is provided during the New Student Orientation.
Tuition and Fees: Degree-seeking Students
Tuition and Fees for the Freshman Year for 2012 academic year (subject to change):
|Entrance Fee||423,000 JPY|
|Housing and Meal Fees||433,000 JPY *|
|Insurance Fee||30,000 JPY|
|Student Activity Fee||30,000 JPY|
|Parents' Association Fee||20,000 JPY|
|Alumni Membership Fee||20,000 JPY|
* The fee for the meal plan is tentative and may increase because AIU is currently in the process of selecting a cafeteria contractor for the academic year starting in April 2012. As soon as the meal plan fee for academic year 2012 is confirmed, the chart above will be updated to reflect the new fee.
Scholarships: Degree-Seeking Students
International students studying at Akita International University may be eligible for scholarship programs such as JASSO. If you are interested in subsidizing your tuition with JASSO or another scholarship program, please contact the Division of Student Affairs (email@example.com).